Productivity is a funny thing.
I haven’t found a consistent definition of what it means to “be productive.” In fact, before a recent talk I gave at the University of South Florida, I surveyed 44 college students asking them what being productive meant to them. I received 44 different answers!
Here’s a few:
- “Making the most of your time.”
- “Working efficiently.”
- “Having a list of items to complete, and completing them in a timely manner.”
- “Getting a ton of stuff done in less time so you have more time to do stuff that’s important to you.”
- “Utilizing every hour of the day to get something accomplished.”
- “Doing things that I don’t want to do, but did anyway.”
I love the last one.
It’s no wonder we’re all talking about how to be more productive, yet still confused about what the concept even means!
How can we be or do more of something if we aren’t able to define what it is we’re trying to do?
Continue Reading »